The Second Presbytery
Work began in 1860 on the present presbytery, and it was completed in the following year. Mr. Daniel Powell, a devoted parishioner, was the architect and the building was a worthy addition to the group of sandstone edifices, church, convent, school now dominating the area between St.Oswald Street, Mill Lane and two small streets, Percival Street and Mary Adelaide Street, long since demolished. Three double windows on two floors lightened the building on the left(as facing) and bay windows were provided for the right side.
A vault for the burial of the priests of the parish stood between the church and house, behind a large statue of St.Peter, seated, as in St.Peter's in Rome.
Unfortunately Fr. Maddock, by now Canon Maddock, was not able to enjoy the comforts of his new house for long. He died on March 4th 1863, aged 63. Fr. Clarkson extended the presbytery some time after 1908 but since then it has not been substantially altered.